Get a taste of what summer is like at the library with this great recipe from Cuisine Corner Jr. program!
Words by Erin Sullivan of the Orange County Library System
This summer, the Orange County Library System (OCLS) invites you and your kids to imagine what it’s like to take part in a scene from your favorite books, fairy tales and stories. Their Summer Reading Program theme is Imagine Your Story, and there will be camps, classes and events for kids of all ages inspired by reading and storytelling.
For example, take a bite of this comforting, no-bake fruit pie inspired by Mrs. Zuckerman’s delicious dessert featured in the book Charlotte’s Web. This easy dessert is one of the recipes featured in the OCLS’s Cuisine Corner Jr. program, which teaches kids to make simple recipes with the help of an adult.
Visit ocls.info to find a library branch near you or to find out what’s happening at your favorite library location.
- Crush the graham crackers until finely crumbled. Add a tablespoon of soft butter and combine well with cracker crumbs.
2. Add crushed cracker crumbs and butter mixture to the bottom of a small coffee cup or plastic cup and pat down until there is a firm layer of graham cracker on the bottom of the cup. This will be your pie crust. Set aside a sprinkling of crumbs for decorating the top of your pie, if desired.
3. Combine 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and ¼ cup of blueberry filling, and spoon mixture on top of crumbs. Spread to make a nice layer. (If you are using fresh berries, crush the berries with a fork and add 1 tablespoon of water, then add the brown sugar.)
4. To make a whipped cream topping for your pie, take 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and 1 drop vanilla extract and pour into a shot-glass-sized cup with a lid. Plastic 2-ounce portion size cups work well for this. Shake the cup quickly until it begins to thicken. Once it’s thick, you can open your cup and add your whipped cream topping to your blueberry pie.
5. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbles on top for decoration. Enjoy!
- 2 graham crackers
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries or blueberry pie filling
- 1 tablespoon water (not needed if using blueberry pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
Check out these local farms with U-pick blueberries (and drive-thru pickup options during Covid-19).