Schools are almost out, and it’s all the buzz! Time to sit back and unwind, relax under the sun, and watch the cute caterpillars as they walk around Central Florida. We love how fun and colorful these insects can be, and YOU will, too!
The best part is that they were super easy to make, and you can even create multiple at one time if you desire, just like we did. Are you ready?
Caterpillar Craft Supplies:
- Various sheets of construction paper (orange, blue, purple, black, pink – you can choose any)
- Green Cardstock for the leaves
- Googly Eyes or Sticker Eyes
- Tape or Glue
- Markers & Crayons
- Pipe cleaner (for the antenna)
Caterpillar Craft Instructions:
- Start by making the caterpillar pieces and the main green leaf. Take the green card stock and trace out a leaf adding four lines in the middle crease to form the best look. Use your ruler as you try to make the body pieces of your caterpillar. These can be all sorts of colors, rainbow colors, or whatever your imagination desires.
- Next we are going to make the leaf look a bit realistic with hole punches like the caterpillar took a few bites. Take your hole punch and begin to make bite marks all around the leaf to appear as though the caterpillar is hanging out on this leaf and eating away at it all at the same time.
- If you want to add a design to your caterpillar you can do so by adding zig zags, lines, polka dots or even any embellishment you have. This would also be a good time to break out the glitter if that’s what you’d like to do. Cut out each piece of your caterpillar and get ready to roll.
- Take each cut piece and glue one end of it so you can roll it into the form of the body of a caterpillar. We’ll make several pieces so we can incorporate them onto the leaf and continue this by gluing each rolled piece to the leaf.
- Next you want to add facial features like an antenna, googly eyes, nose or mouth. We used some of our embellishments and glued them to make a smiling face. The antennas were created with various color pipe cleaners.